Thermoplastic Poyolefin Roofing
TPO ROOFING SYSTEMS HAVE MANY ADVANTAGES FOR COMMERCIAL PROPERTY OWNERS
TPO roofing (Thermoplastic Poyolefin) systems are the number one choice in today’s flat roofing industry for commercial and industrial clients.
Since 1995, TPO systems have fueled nearly all of the growth in the single-ply roofing industry. Architects and owners alike have learned of TPO’s superior weatherability and exceptionally reliable heat-welded seams.
Now with the added advantage of price competitiveness versus EPDM roofs, TPO roofing systems are the single-ply, commercial roofing system choice.
Advantages of TPO Systems
Heat-welded seams are up to 880 percent stronger. Why take risks?
There are two sets of forces constantly working to damage the seams of your commercial roofing system. Wind uplift, which attempts to peel the seams apart; and building movement, which attempts to pull the seams apart.
Heat-welded seams are simply better!
Heat-welded seams are widely recognized as being the strongest and safest in the industry:
- Heat-welded seams are physically fused (rather than taped or glued)
- Results in a monolithic membrane (rather than multiple layers of membranes and tape)
- It’s like having a single, uniform membrane covering your building from one edge of the roof to the other!
- Clearly, seam strength – perhaps the most critical factor in the watertight integrity of the roofing system – is far superior with TPO roofing: as much as 880 percent stronger!
- TPO has superior puncture resistance. Up to 229 percent higher, for less chance of accidental leaks! Resistance to puncture is a critical characteristic for single-ply roofing systems
- Rooftop traffic, HVAC maintenance, exposure to debris and vandalism demand that your roofing system stand up to all types of physical abuse
TPO roofing membranes have superior puncture resistance compared to traditional EPDM:
- 229 percent better than non-reinforced EPDM
- 19 percent better than reinforced EPDM
- Up to 229 percent greater puncture resistance
ENERGY-STAR: MONEY ISN’T ALL YOU’RE SAVING
When you figure in the hidden energy savings of a white roof, Thermoplastic systems may be an even better deal than EPDM than you first thought.
On a sunny, summer day, a black roof can reach temperatures in excess of 170°F. On the same day, the highly reflective white surface of TPO can be as low as 110°F!
As a result, much less solar radiation is transmitted through the roof and into your facility. With energy prices on the rise, why get saddled with an energy-wasting black roof, when you can install an energy-efficient Thermoplastic roof instead?
The magnitude of cost savings from a white roof can be staggering. The US Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory provides a convenient means of estimating the cost savings of a white roof.
Depending on the location, an energy-saving TPO installation could offset as much as 30, 40, 50 percent or more of the original cost to install the roof!
Total estimated energy savings of a 500 square TPO roof over 15 years (Based on data from Oak Ridge National Laboratory, US Dept. of Energy;
Assumes R-value of 12.5)
- Sacramento, CA: $39,300
- Fresno, CA: $51,525
- Houston, TX: $44,475
- Chicago, IL: $8,100
- Newark, NJ: $24,000
- Augusta, GA: $32,325
- Miami, FL: $55,875
To calculate the savings in your cities, visit the Oak Ridge website.